HDRI shooting

We've recently had a chance to test and experience the workflow of creating HDRI. I haven't gone through the entire process to the end product yet.

I've done this before on a personal project setting. With a hand-held digital compact camera, Canon Tx-1, I shot a 'chrome ball' which is actually a cheap garden ornament. Of course it had little scratches and slightly uneven surfaces, but the results turned out ok.

This time round, I was using my Canon 500D DSLR, and my colleague Sonny thought of a way to mark the tripods so the rotation of each set of photos for multiple exposure can adequately cover the whole environment. With my new wide-angle lens attachment, it would result in lesser sets of exposures to take because each set has a larger area of coverage.

With my Canon 500D, and going through some guidelines on the settings to use when shooting the scene at multiple exposures, I learnt new things. I was supposed to set up a fixed ISO, and then vary my shutter speed for each exposure, halving the shutter speed for each exposure.

Mengdi gave a link to a page to a project called the Open Camera Control project. This project successfully uses a Nintendo DS to link to the Canon DSLR camera. Using the DS software, you can automate the camera to take n-number of exposures at whatever f-stop interval desired. The system is called the Open Camera Controller.

The page that housed the Open Camera Control project is a page talking all about HDRI, from the creators of The HDRI Handbook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alembic Cache Export and Import in May

Setting Maya Viewport's Texture Resolution Above 256x256

Maya UI Layout Example