Tiles Flipping Rigs




Tiles Flipping Rigs from Patrick Woo on Vimeo.

I finally got the time to  put up a test where I rigged up tiles  / cubes / boxes to flip over when a locator is within a certain distance.

The each tile has an expression that takes the distance between the locator to itself, and use that to drive its own rotateX.

I understand this is super simple to set-up in Houdini, but in Maya I had to write a script to set this up, simply because each tile had to have an expression that watches out for the locator. In this aspect, I find Maya's system to be a bit unwieldy. Even when it is procedural, it requires technical knowledge to set things up for a relatively simple task .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maya UI Layout Example

Maya Expressions Part 02 - Conditional Statements

Jooble.org - A Jobs Platform for VFX Artists