Maya Quadrangulate Workflow

Here's another long video I created. I talk about converting polygonal meshes with triangular faces to quadrilateral (or quad) faces, using the Quadrangulate command in Maya.


First I talk about using the command with its default settings. Then I go into more tricky situations where the command does not work the first time, and how we can still achieve a quadrangulated geometry in the end.

In summary, the most important settings to take note of, from the command options, would be:

- 'Keep hard edges' checkbox (I always turn it on. many external applications export meshes with all edges hardened. In which case, the command will not perform any quadrangulation)

- Angle threshold. The lower this number is, the more choosy Maya will be when deciding when 2 triangular faces are to be turned into a single quadrilateral face. 0 will tell Maya to quadrangulate 2 triangular faces only if they form a perfectly flat planar surface (ie, only if they are co-planar). A maximum angle threshold of 180 means that Maya will take all possible pairs of adjoining triangles will be converted to quads.

I hope this helps you in your mesh clean-up.

Watch the same video on Vimeo.com

Maya Quadrangulate Workflow from Patrick Woo on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alembic Cache Export and Import in May

Setting Maya Viewport's Texture Resolution Above 256x256

Maya UI Layout Example